Owing to bad weather in April resulting in the Isis being red-flagged most of time, the OARC has moved its April “Learn to Row” course to June 2018.
May 2018 course is now full but, worry not, we still take registrations for our June course: Click here for information on our June 2018 course!
Same friendly crew coaching you, same price but probably much nicer weather! Be quick and get in touch with our OARC development officer too book your seat.
Oxford Academicals Rowing Club runs “Learn to Row” courses in spring and summer each year. The courses are designed to give people who have never rowed before, or those with little rowing experience, an opportunity to learn. We offer two types of “Learn to Row” courses:
- short one-day options : Our one-day taster days offer a snapshot of the sport that epitomises Oxford.
- our full four-week novice courses. For a more in-depth look at rowing and enough training to join a club, the longer four week course includes eight sessions.
- course organised according to the British Rowing Learn to Row Syllabus. All participants receive the BR booklet.
- 1 boathouse safety session
- 1 rowing tank session at the Iffley road sport center (yes the place where Sir Roger Bannister broke 4 min barrier for the mile run).
- 6 on the water sessions, 2 hour each and 2 sessions per week for 4 weeks.
Just do it! You will not regret. Rowing is an amazing sport.
Oxford Academicals Rowing Club is open to all (right! not just ‘academics’) but rowing with us requires that you:
- are over 18 years of age
- have a basic level of strength, balance and fitness
- have a good level of hearing and understanding of instructions given in English
- are able to swim 50m in clothing.
Rowing clubs with facilities for under 18’s are available in Oxford. Note that we are not equipped with adaptive rowing facilities however Oxford Adaptive Rowing Club can accommodate a range of ability levels. For more information and to add your name to the reserve bookings list for either type of course, email oarcdev (at) gmail.com. Places will be allocated on a first-come-first-serve basis. You can also keep updated by following Oxford Academicals Rowing Club on Facebook.
Oxford Academicals is also looking for experienced rowers, coxes and coaches.
Email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.